Friday 24 August 2012

Hawker Center 101

Probably more than anything, Singapore is known for it's vast spectrum of food choices.  From hawker centers to fine dining, you can find it all in this little tiny country. 

Inside Lau Pau Sat
Hawker centers are basically open-air local food courts. They sprung up in the 1950s and 60s to address the problem of unhygienic food practices due to the urbanization of the country.  The government didn't want the unlicensed food vendors "hawking" their street food without regulation, so they forced them into these centers and provided them with running water and facilities for cleaning.  There are also many indoor food courts in the mall that I thought would be considered hawker centers, but upon research it is only the outdoor ones that are truly considered as such. 

    


When Jason and I got here in January for our "look see", the first thing we did after checking into the hotel was go to a hawker center called Lau Pau Sat.  We naively thought we were so adventurous, trying some spring rolls and a couple of other fried items.  We also tried to clean off our own table and ask for napkins.  Oh how ridiculous we must have looked!  There are little old ladies (everyone calls them "aunties") whose job is to clean off the tables, and they do not look kindly on you if you try to do it yourself.  Also, there is a serious shortage of napkins in this country.  It is wise to have them with you at all times, because Asian food can be messy!  Especially when you are as inept with chopsticks as I am and too embarrassed to just use a fork.  (stupid Americans...)

Holland Village Hawker Center

The food at these centers is considerably less expensive than "regular" restaurant food.  You can easily get a complete meal for $5 (Sing, which equates to about $4.50 US)  My problem is I have no idea what I'm ordering.  For example, the local hawker center in Holland Village has 20 or so vendors, and each stall has a sign with pictures of the dishes and the corresponding name.  I stopped one night and got some food for the family for dinner.  I chose "Beef Hor Fun" and the always safe sweet and sour chicken.  I have since found out that anything with "hor fun" means rice noodles.  I'm learning!  I also got fried dumplings...can't go wrong with that. 
 
One of the stalls
 
Our dinner (note the Tiger Beer pounder!)

My ultimate favorite (so far) food court is the Food Republic @ Somerset.  It's like a hawker center for idiots.  It's all bright and shiny and the signs above each stall spell out in huge letters what they sell.  For example "THAI FOOD" and "PRAWN NOODLES".  I had a fabulous Pad Thai, and the second time enjoyed a spicy Laksa.  There is another Food Republic near Jason's office, and that one is made to look like a traditional Chinese market, complete with hanging lanterns.  We visited this one with Kara, and the food was good (yummy dumplings!) but I still prefer the Food Republic for dummies.

Food Republic @ Somerset - Yay!

Look closely, the heads are hanging off to the side!
My yummy Pad Thai - for about $5.50 USD
Finally, I must comment on Cooper's favorite "fast food" here.  There is a chain called "Old Chang Kee", mostly found in malls and MRT (subway) stations.  They basically serve spring rolls and fried food on a stick.  You can imagine his delight when he found chicken nuggets on a stick.  Sophia opted for fried shrimp on a stick, and I tried a spring roll.  Eh, it wasn't hot enough for my tastes, but if the Coops is happy, then so am I.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.