Thursday 16 August 2012

GET OUT OF MY WAY!

I can't take it anymore.  I just can't.  Must...vent...about...this.

Most countries have major problems.  Like drugs.  Like poverty.  Like violent crime.  Singapore has very little of any of this.  (the big "Bringing drugs into this country is punishable by death" sign at the airport might have something to do with that.)  What we do have though, is an entirely other kind of epidemic.  One that was obviously started by locals, but has spread to many expatriates.

PEOPLE DON'T MOVE OVER ON THE SIDEWALKS,
OR IN ANY WALKING SITUATION FOR THAT MATTER.

You can laugh, it may sound funny.  But try walking or running every night for an hour and see how long it's amusing.  At first, I obliged and went off the sidewalk into the grass to avoid a collision.  Then I started getting annoyed and moved to the *very* edge of the sidewalk, risking a shoulder bump.  THEN I went full throttle into not caring if I plowed through someone's shoulder.  Alas, I went off the deep end last night.  I took it to a whole other level.  I started yelling, "MOVE OVER!" every time it was evident that a full scale collision was going to take place.  Did anyone yell back at me?  Who knows, I had my headphones turned up.  I hope so.  To balance this out, I also thanked people who did the right thing, what any person with common sense would do automatically.

Our first visitor, Kara, noticed this problem immediately and by day #2 was also tired of it.  So imagine our complete amusement when she was out for a walk on her own one day and came across a billboard with a public service campaign.  It was called "Get out of the way!".  NO KIDDING, this literally is on the government's agenda.   They used some kind of Angry Birds theme, because people looooove Angry Birds over here.  And Hello Kitty.

So from here on out I am considering myself chief deputy enforcer of the campaign.  I will do my civic duty to convince the people (with my voice or possibly with a horn) that it is NOT appropriate to walk with friends and hog the entire sidewalk.  When you walk and text you must look up once in a while.  Do not walk in the middle with your baby stroller or dog.  You WILL be called out.  Or you will suffer the pain of me knocking you on your ass.

Because I am bigger than all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.