Sunday 11 March 2012

Looking Back on Week 1 - Ahead to Week 2

It's Monday, and I can't believe I overslept and missed the live NCAA Selection Sunday show!  I guess this is evidence that I'm finally on a "normal" sleep schedule and have become accustomed to the time difference here in Singapore.

This weekend was a little rough - now a little more settled, I didn't have the distractions of work or the requirement to go shopping for food, cleaning supplies, etc. for the house.  I have to admit I was pretty homesick and wanted to talk to Jennifer, the kids, and Mom and Dad any chance I got.

I met a few more people at the pool this weekend and that really helped me.  Almost everyone I've met is from New Zealand or Australia, with a few Swiss, Dutch, and one American mixed in.  I'm amazed that there are so few Americans in our neighborhood, but not upset about it.  The families I've met so far have all been extremely friendly and I'm really looking forward to Jennifer and the kids getting here so I can make introductions.  I know once we're all here, we'll have lots of new friends to visit with by the pool and around town.  There are kids EVERYWHERE and Sophia and Cooper will be in heaven with all the kids to play with.

As much as I hate when people post on facebook or twitter about what they eat each day - one thing that is absolutely true about Singapore is that the country's two favorite pastimes are shopping and eating.  The later is pretty much all I did this weekend.

On Saturday, I met a new friend on Singapore's east coast - an area very different from the central part of the island where I live.  Her name is Mia, and she's been in Singapore about 6 years, by way of Hong Kong and California.  She is the friend of a co-worker back in Pennsylvania and it's been very nice to have an "instant friend" to show me the ropes of Singapore.  She was nice enough to invite me to dinner (pizza) and to meet a few more of her friends.  The highlight of the night was the ride home....sitting in the front seat of a british racing green mini-cooper, driving on the opposite side of the road - Let's just say it was quite an experience!

On Sunday, I decided to relax and didn't make it to the golf course.  I checked out a few local restaurants in the area called Dempsey Hill.  (This is the area with the giant fish I mentioned in my first post.)  There are so many places to choose from, but I'm on a mission to try them all.

Jennifer and I ate at Jumbo Seafood when we visited in January - so that one is checked off the list.  We enjoyed this GIANT Chilli Crab during that visit along with some fried rice and some kind of egg coated prawns (I think) - and of course, a pitcher of Tiger Beer.....Singapore's finest.

This weekend I tried two additional places in Dempsey, both times ordering breakfast or brunch food - even though it wasn't really breakfast time.  I'd like to blame this on me catching up with the time change, but really it was just a matter of what looked good on the menu.

The first place I checked out is called "Roadhouse", which doesn't sound all that appetizing really, but it was good.  There's not much of a view offered, but the menu is full of "american style" diner food, with a uniquely Asian touch. 

It's precisely what I was looking for and though I was dissapointed that Bloody Mary's were not available, the Eggs Benedict gave the "Big Daddy" at Buckley's Tavern a run for it's money......and that's saying something.  This place will be on the list to return with Jennifer and the kids as well because they have a pretty good selection and the prices aren't as astronomical as other places in the area.  My meal was only $40 for breakfast.....

I also checked out a place called "Red Dot Brewhouse".  This was a recommendation from my boss, who knows the owner.  It's one of a few micro-breweries I've found on the island, each of them swearing it is the original micro-brewery of Singapore.   Each of them are different with different styles of beer, so who really cares who was first??  I was there for a late lunch and ordered the brunch menu.  I was able to eat a little of everything, including what might be the best French Toast on the planet....go figure, I found it in Singapore.   Red Dot also had a very nice atmosphere and we'll being going there again for sure.  The entire place is open air, no doors, no walls - and the patio has a small kiddie pool for children to cool down, as well as weekend cooking classes for the kids on Sundays. 

However, the best part of this place is the Monster Green Lager.  It's not the best beer I've ever had, but it's green, so its perfect for St. Patrick's day....and is contains Spirulina - which is said to provide 10x the beta carotene of a carrot.    Why eat vegetables (Jennifer) when you can get your daily allowance in a green beer??

After eating all day, I wrapped up the weekend with a quiet night at home.  My TV is finally hooked up, so I've been enjoying the few channels of government approved American sit-coms and a multitude of Discovery and Science Channel shows available.  Sophia will love it!  The slingbox is also working pretty well, so I'm looking forward to recording and watching NCAA games over the next few weeks.

More posts later this week.....I hope you're enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.