Saturday 17 March 2012

Around Town - March 17

St. Patrick's day has a different feel around Singapore - though there are plenty of Irish bars dotted around the island where the holiday is clearly celebrated.  I did my part and enjoyed a Guinness with my dinner, but after several hours of running required errands (still getting the house organized) I wasn't quite up for a late night by myself, surrounded by college age Irishmen who had started "celebrating" before noon.....I guess I really am getting old!

I did have an enjoyable day, however, relaxing by the pool in the afternoon, picking up some things I needed for the house, and checking out the shopping / restaurant / bar area around Orchard Road.

Since I've shared some pictures around the SAP office and some samples of food around town, I figured I would now share some shots from one of my new favorite areas in town.  It's called Emerald Hill, and though it's in the heart of the busy Orchard shopping district, it's just far enough removed from busy Orchard Road that you can avoid the traffic, throngs of people, and overall "hussle and bussle" of Singapore.

First, let me describe Orchard Road and the surrounding shopping district.  Basically, think of an ultra-modern King of Prussia Mall - then multiply the number of stores by 20, add every high end brand name retailer you can think of (inclusive of a storefront offering only Steinway Pianos for example) and change the location from Route 202 in the Philadelphia suburbs to the middle of Manhattan.  Oh, and think of the temperature being 90 degrees when you're outside the mall and about 60 when you're inside.  That's basically what Orchard Road is like. 

Now, with that as the backdrop, you'll get a sense of why I enjoy the quiet, more secluded courtyards of Emerald Hill so much.  There are probably 8-10 restaurants located in the Emerald Hill area, each in what was originally a private residence built in the 1920's.  Nearly all have outdoor, open air seating which is suprisingly comfortable due to the shade and fans.  There are a few residences in the area, a little bit further removed from Orchard Road, and they are among the most exclusive in Singapore. 

Wealth is very apparent, with a Mercedes or BMW - and in more cases than seemingly possible - a Ferrari or Lamborghini parked in the tiny driveway.  Orchard Road is just a few steps away, but the area is relatively quiet and secluded from the traffic and noise. 


Like most other places in Singapore, it's also very green, which is probably why I like it so much, and it's considerably cooler just a few steps off of the main road, away from the crowds and traffic.

It still feels like Asia, but there is a distinct, western feel to Emerald Hill, most likely because the crowd tends to be a more evenly distrubuted mix of Europeans and locals then what you find in the malls and food courts on Orchard Road.

There is a great mix of food to choose from - everything from western bar food to more local, Thai and Malay options.  I've only eaten at a couple places (the Alley Bar and Number 5) - but so far the food is very good.  Another places that always draws my attention, though I haven't yet stopped in, is enticingly named:  Ice Cold Beer - which in Singapore is really quite difficult to pass up in the heat and humidity.  I'm fairly sure I'll be stopping there next weekend to see if they offer anything other than their namesake.  Likewise, for anyone who visits us, this area is on the list of places we'll visit for dinner and a break from shopping.


Finally, I have to share a photo of the parking lot of a restaurant / bar called KPO - so named because it's located directly next to the Killiney Post Office.  This is where I stopped and had dinner on Saturday evening and enjoyed my Guinness to celebrate St. Patty's Day.  For some reason, I don't think these belong to the guys who deliver the mail in Singapore.  It's just one of many signs of the wealth that exists in Singapore. 

That's all for now - I'm headed for an afternoon swim and then out for dinner later this evening.  I hope everyone is well back in the US and I'll share more soon.

-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.