Tuesday 26 June 2012

Sleeping on the Job

When I was in my early 20's, I worked for a tiny company that sold long distance calling cards (thanks, Dad, for getting me yet another summer job!).  I worked with another girl, Michelle*, as an admin for the owner.  We really had almost nothing to do.  So much so, that we would take turns taking afternoon naps under the desk in an office.  (Remember, I was in my early 20's...I was often "tired" at work).  Luckily, we never got caught, although I'm sure my boss wondered from time to time why I had a weird carpet pattern imprinted on my cheek.

*Side note:  Michelle was the high school best friend of one Ryan Phillippe, actor and former husband of Reese Witherspoon.  While we worked together, she actually went out to LA to visit him.  I think he was on a soap opera at the time.  Random!



That was a long time ago, but this at-work napping practice is alive and well here in Singapore.  Jason took this picture of a guy sleeping in the truck.  The picture I cannot find but truly demonstrates what I'm talking about, is of a whole crew of landscapers napping on the sidewalk in front of our neighborhood, along a very busy road.  When I first saw this, it kind of shocked me.  But like everything else different here, it's just no big deal anymore.  Apparently, when it's your turn to take a break, you just stop, drop and sleep.  So much so, that I had to walk over a guy sleeping in a stairwell on the way up to the doctor's office.  I swear he was snoring.

Unfortunately, we also caught our neighborhood security guard sleeping on the job when we returned late at night from Bali. Jason had to jump out of the cab, reach into the window, and push the gate button unbeknownst to said sleeping guard (who I have now gotten to know, we will call him Mr. H to protect his identity). He's really nice and says "HELLO JENNY!" very loudly when he sees me.  Why he shortened it to Jenny, I don't know but I don't mind for some reason.  And my other favorite guard is named Robin.  It's like a sleepy Villa Delle Rose superhero team.

As far as I'm concerned, I have nothing but the utmost appreciation and a slight bit of nostalgia for catching some shut-eye midday. And I have a feeling it has nothing to do with having too many Tiger Beers the night before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.