Thursday 10 October 2013

The Worst Part of Expat Life

I love expat life.  There are so many people here who whine and complain about the most ridiculous things, but I choose to embrace even the quirkiest parts of daily life here in Singapore.  I'm not saying I've *never* gotten annoyed at a taxi driver who refused my business, or dreaded grocery shopping without the use of a car, but overall I can't say I've ever really had a bad day here.

Until now.

One of my best friends is leaving tomorrow.  I had heard that this is the hardest part of expat life, but I really underestimated how it would feel.  I moved a lot as a child, and never really struggled with the goodbyes.  But this is different and I'm struggling BIGTIME.   My friend, Brianna Foulds, is moving back to Texas and I am beyond sad.

It's funny how sometimes you meet someone and just know immediately that you will be good friends.  And in this case, Jason was the one who recognized the potential.  As most of you know, I broke my leg two months after moving here and was confined to my condo for over two months.  During that time, Jason was chief basketball cheerleader for Sophia.  I remember so clearly when he came home from her first game and told me that he met someone I should be friends with.  A few weeks later, I was able to attend a game and the rest is history.



Not only did Bri and I become fast friends, but our children did as well.  Sophia and Savanah shared a love of basketball, Cooper and Gage played a lot of Minecraft, and Kylie...well, she basically played comedienne every moment we were together.  Sleepovers, pool play dates and lots of time hanging out together at the school created a really special bond between all of us.

 

We were also fortunate to visit Thailand with the Foulds and Martin families (and the Martins are leaving in December!).  We stayed at different hotels, but met up for dinner and beach time. Check out the kids with the baby elephant - this is definitely a memory that will never be forgotten!



So with an extremely heavy heart I must send my friend off.   As hard as it will be to say goodbye in a few hours, I am excited knowing I will see her and her children at a wedding of mutual friends in June.  And we're already talking about sending Sophia off to Austin for a week this summer.   As far as I'm concerned, our friendship is just beginning. 

I love you Bri, and never forget that I am here for you day or night.  Good things are ahead for you, and I'm personally excited to watch your life unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.