Sunday, 15 June 2014

Ode to my dad

I haven't written a post since I left Singapore.  I've been busy, but mostly lazy.

Today is Father's Day in the US.  I love my husband, he is the BEST father ever, and a wonderful husband.  But I am compelled today to tell you about my dad, Grant Michael Lehman.

I have a "Facebook friend" in Singapore, a lovely lady and fellow writer, Jennifer Gargiulo, who during the one time we talked face-to-face, told me her favorite post of mine was the one where I talked about my personal life. So here I go.  I hope to not offend family members (all but one, that one I just don't care anymore) - I have always struggled with this concept.

I have the dad everyone loves.  He is a gentle giant.  Six foot-four, maybe 230 on his best day...but always loving.  He loves music.  He has a nice collection of Bob Dylan albums, but also introduced me to Abba.  One of my favorite memories is my dad in his recliner, with me dancing around his chair to "Dancing Queen".

We had an interesting childhood.  He worked in human resources and we frequently moved, sometimes more than once a year.  When I was in high school, he had challenges with his job and my sister had life-threatening medical issues.  We always knew we could count on our parents, no matter what was going on.  Were they perfect?  No.  Are you?  No.  But my goodness, they did the best they could.  My brother, Scott, his twin, Kristen, and I, are nothing but thankful to them.  We have another brother who has unfortunately taken a different path and is the poster child for the entitled generation (sometimes you have to just let it go and accept that families aren't perfect).  

There is nothing my father wouldn't have done for me.  Nothing.  But that is not what I think of when I think of him.  This is what will always...always...stay with me:

People who know my dad automatically think I am awesome.
I am not.  I am a fraction of my dad.  Like ten percent.  I think I'm pretty great usually, but I am not my dad, I never will be.  He has a way about him, a finesse, a kindness, a compassion, that just emanates from him.  He is good.  He is kind.  I am just a little bit of him.

He is the person I always want to be.  If you know him, you be compelled to agree :-)

I love you Dad.

P.S.  Mom - you are great too

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.